Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP)
The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP) is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain quality members for the New York Army and Air National Guard and the Naval Militia. Effective 1 January 1997, any active member of the New York National Guard or Naval Militia, in good standing, is eligible to apply to receive tuition assistance, up to the cost of the State University of New York's (SUNY) maximum in-state undergraduate tuition, at any college, university, or community-technical college in the State of New York recognized and approved by the New York State Board of Regents or State University of New York.
The following are the basic eligibility requirements. In addition, see DMNA REG 621-1:
- Be in good standing with your parent service and the Naval Militia;
- Be accepted and enrolled in college in an undergraduate, degree-producing program for a minimum of three (3) credit hours per semester or four (4) credit hours per quarter;
- Maintain eligibility for the entire period of your application
- Be a resident of the State of New York for a period of 186 days prior to using the program for the first time and 186 days per year, excluding Active Duty periods.
** The most recent version DMNA 96-1 is dated 01 June, 2018.
It can be downloaded via multiple links below.
Please do not submit outdated versions of the DMNA 96-1 application.
To apply for RIRP, a service member must:
- Complete a DMNA Form 96-1 RIRP Application with Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the college or university they wish to attend.
- Complete an FAFSA application (Pell).
- Complete a TAP application with (HESC).
Utilize the following Check List to complete the package:
Download RIRP Checklist
(Appendices are found at the end of DMNA REG 621-1)
- DMNA Form 96-1 is to be signed by your Naval Militia Unit Representative or your Commanding Officer before it is submitted to the Naval Militia Headquarters and the MOU is to be read, initialed on every line.
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the college or university you wish to attend or a recent unofficial transcript if already attending and include with the package.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) (Pell Grant). Obtain Student Aid Report (SAR) as proof of PELL approval or denial. Final PELL determination is required before the complete package can be approved. (http://www.FAFSA.ed.gov).
You can print your SAR by clicking Login on the FAFSA on the Web home page to log in, then selecting View or Print your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the “My FAFSA” page.
- Complete the application for Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) if full-time. Obtain ORIGINAL TAP Award Certificate as final proof of TAP approval or denial. Final TAP determination is required before the complete package can be approved. (http://www.hesc.com)
- You can provide a copy of the email you received from HESC and a screenshot of your award for the tap requirement (both pages must be submitted together) or you can contact HESC Call Center at 1-888-697-4372 for an award letter.
- Spring Semester - The entire package must be received by the Naval Militia Education Officer NOT LATER THAN December 15.
- Fall Semester - The entire package must be received by the Naval Militia Education Officer NOT LATER THAN August 15.
- Submit DMNA Form 96-1 proof of financial aid (TAP and SAR/PELL Grant), and letter of acceptance/unofficial transcript by Email, Mail or FAX to:
Division of Military & Naval Affairs
ATTN: New York Naval Militia Education Officer
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, NY 12110-3514
Education Officer Contact Information
Phone: (518) 786-4583
Fax: (518) 786-4427